Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Review: Carpe Corpus by Rachel Caine

Carpe Corpus (Morganville Vampires, Book 6)Book Details:
Carpe Corpus (Morganville Vampires, Book 6)
By Rachel Caine
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published June 2009, Penguin Group
Paperback, 241 pages
ISBN: 9780451227195


Synopsis:

In the small college town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace-until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He's kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop must go to even greater lengths. He vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants-the living and the undead. Claire Danvers and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires ever be content to go back to the old rules, after having such a taste of power?
These book just keep getting better and better. With book six, the series ventures into the world of steampunk with a special Morganville twist. With the very little I have actually read in the genre of Steampunk, I had a hard time visualizing what Ada looks like, but I am hoping these eventually become movies and someone creates this fascinating machine for the movies! Ada's quirkiness and creepiness fit right in with the rest of the Morganville residents, though, so I know that she/it will grow on me, too.
With this book, it is also a relief that Claire has finally turned seventeen. The build-up between her and Shane was driving me crazy. I also like how the author was much more realistic about her first time with Shane than many romance novelists, with much awkwardness and naivety. Her parents' response to the knowledge of this was quite humorous and charming and lent some much-needed humor to the extent of fear with which Morganville is saturated.
Even though these books have much fantasy, they still move along with a certain believability. The one major exception that I found in this book - that I simply had a hard time believing possible - was when Claire almost dies at the end. With the amount of blood loss she suffered from, there is simply no way she could stay conscious for the amount of that she did or stay alive as she did. When books are as entertaining as these are though, I don't mind a little "writer's license" to keep the main character alive and resolve the loose thread of who is responsible for the random murders of girls in the previous books. I am surprised, though, that Claire never made the connection to who Dean is, since I saw it coming quite easily.
Mynin gets more and more entertaining and fascinating from book to book - he is probably one of my favorite characters for his unpredictability. I am thrilled that the disease can no longer get the best of him - it means he could play a more central role in future books. Many of the characters are easy to like, even if their morals often verge into gray area, such as Amelie.
Even though the "book" has suffered its final demise, the bookworm in me still wonders what else was in that book, so I hope future books can tell me more about it.

The Cover: My guess is that the bracelet-covered arm is supposed to represent the magical hold that Bishop has on Claire, but it's a really poor excuse for what is supposed to look like a moving tattoo. I haven't got a clue what the statue in the background has to do with anything.

First Line: "Happy Birthday, honey!"
This one line says it all. Finally, six books into the series Claire gets to turn 17 and be recognized as an adult according to state law. It's about time!
Favorite Quote: "I have way too many bosses."




Read For: Pages Read Challenge, Support Your Local Library Challenge, Speculative Fiction Challenge

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...