Monday, December 20, 2010

Failed Reading Challenges 2010

I am lumping all of my failed challenges into one post, as this is not exactly something to be thrilled about. I did give each of them a good try, but my reading interests went a different direction this year than I predicted. Namely, I received many more book review requests than I expected, and I really got into reading books from the Young Adult genre. Unfortunately for my reading challenges, these books did not fit into the required categories all that well. Here is the list of abandoned challenges:

451 Challenge: I loved the idea of this challenge, which was created in the spirit of the iconic book Fahreinheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I chose to start off this challenge with the much-beloved classic, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - and then stalled on it. I know this book is incredibly popular, especially for those who love a good romance, but I just didn't get it. I made it halfway through the book before I pretty much gave up. I may try to finish it in the new year for the sake of the upcoming movie release, but don't hold your breath. That book killed this challenge for me.

Biblical Fiction Challenge: I did get three books read for this challenge, which is halfway. I simply had so many books I wanted to read that I lost track of time. I normally love Biblical fiction, as it gives me new insight into stories that I am already familiar with, so I am a bit disappointed in myself for not finishing this one. Here are the titles I did complete for this one:
1. The Centurion's Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke
2. The Hidden Flame by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke
3. Havah: The Story of Eve by Tosca Lee

Once Upon a Time Challenge: I also read three books in this challenge, but I was supposed to read five books, so I did not make it. I orginally picked this challenge because I have read quite a number of books that fit the description of "fairy-tales retold". The flip side is that since I have already read lots of this kind of book, I might find it difficult to locate books of this style that I have not read in time. Soooo.... yea. I didn't make it. Oh, well. Here are the books I did read in time:
1. Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
2. Ash by Malinda Lo
3. The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...