Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: The Sandalwood Tree by Elle Newmark

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

1. Grab your current read.
2. Open to a random page.
3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.
4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!).
5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


My Teaser:
The Sandalwood Tree: A Novel
          I set off along Cart Road, enjoying the scent of incense drifting out of a tiny pink temple. Without Billy, I planned to hike up the narrow winding path to the Mall and get a few photos on the way. At the end of Cart Road, I stopped at a stall where a young man was selling some kind of mysterious red snack out of a brass vessel. I snapped a picture, then paused, trying to work up the courage to try some, when...
Boom!
The ground shook and my hearing shut down. Men ran past me on Cart Road, their mouths stretched open, apparently shouting, but I heard nothing. Ridiculously, I thought of a silent movie with Keystone Kops running every which way with no sound but a frenzied piano in the background. I remembered Martin talking about the temporary deafness that came after bombs and mortar blasts. - pgs. 148-149, The Sandalwood Tree: A Novel by Elle Newmark

What are you reading this week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...