Thursday, June 14, 2012

Guest Post: Revealing Hamilton by Sarah J. Carr



Today's guest is Sarah J. Carr, author of Revealing Hamilton. Sarah Carr is a novelist who can be found most evenings with a cup of tea in-hand and her imagination racing from plot to plot. When away from her work, part of her mind is constantly brainstorming her next story and she always has writing paraphernalia within reach. She wrote stories as a child, but became more serious about her passion during her twenties. In her spare time, she likes to read, splash in mud puddles, smell bookstores and eat Honeycrisp apples. Yearly, she participates in NaNoWriMo and has mentored others through the program. Due to her dedication to National Novel Writing Month, she is part of an amazing writing group.
Born and raised in Washington State, Sarah still resides in the area. Her life is richly filled with her supportive, yet swashbuckling husband and their golden Nugget.


Sarah is here to share a little insight into her main character, Amelia Hamilton.
                    (Blog Entry From Amelia Hamilton’s Perspective)

How do you tell customers that you’re raping their checkbooks on behalf of your boss?

Dear Loyal Customers,
I regret to inform you that due to the inclement weather, Ellie’s is raising their prices. In this extreme time, this is necessary due to supply and

Crap. The supply and demand bit wasn’t going to work. I didn’t buy it and didn’t expect the customers at Ellie’s to fall for it either.

Dear Patrons,
We’re sorry to say prices have gone up. The severe storm has caused us to re-evaluate our menu.

This wasn’t working either.

Damn Lorenzo. My stupid boss always gave me the most undesirable tasks and raising prices twice within the same day when we were the only restaurant open in town didn’t sit well with me. As if making me deliver meals on roller skates wasn’t bad enough, now I could add “lying” to my resume. How do you nicely say, “My boss is a greedy sleaze-face who would take bread from your starving child”? With my accident-prone nature, platters and glasses were as good as weapons in my hand and I fantasized about lobbing a plate right at Lorenzo’s forehead.

I didn’t know what else to do. Needing this job meant doing whatever Lorenzo wanted. I couldn’t get fired. Connor would be pissed and I didn’t want to envision the reprimand I would receive. Thinking about my drunken boyfriend, a wave of melancholy sadness washed over me. When did the need to require alcohol begin? I couldn’t even remember. It was pathetic. I could tell the brand of Scotch he drank by smelling his breath. I couldn’t afford to live on my own and stupidly, I gave up the lease on my inexpensive apartment. In retrospect, I relocated to become his maid. Bad move on my end.

Ugh. I was losing track of my “task” and the diner’s door would open for dinner in less than twenty minutes. I needed to act fast. Maybe I shouldn’t have turned down Donovan’s offer for help. No. He was my co-worker and my best friend. I needed to keep him out of Lorenzo’s web of lies. Besides, he was starting to give me the goo-goo eyes again. I wished he’d stop pining after me. We were friends, nothing more.

Was this really everything there was to my life? Go to school. Go home. Go to work. Go home. It was a perpetual revolving door and it was getting me nowhere.

Sometimes I wished another world would swallow me whole. Sadly, that would remain a fantasy.

I’ve got to get back to lying to customers….

Thank you for stopping by, Sarah!

1 comments:

Sarah Carr said...

Thanks for hosting Amelia, today! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...